Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pura Vida!

Hello everyone!  I thought before I get down to the serious discussion, I should say something about myself and why I'm writing this blog.  Well, where to start....

I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI, and I'm studying journalism.  I was accepted into a class called HON 4200, Sec 504 - The African Democracy Project:  Botswana.  For six weeks, we're going to be learning about the culture of Botswana and the meaning of democracy, then travel to Botswana for two weeks to study the HIV/AIDS problem there and sustainability practices.  Finally, after we return, we're going to do service learning in Detroit to try to find solutions to problems in Detroit that are similar to those found in Botswana.

I'm so excited to participate in this class.  I love learning about other cultures, and as far as new experiences, I'm open to anything!  I'm here to try anything at least once.  After all, how many people get the chance to travel to Africa for two weeks?  We have a once-in-a-lifetime experience here, and I'm ready to get all I can out of it.  I've never traveled outside the United States or Canada before, so this is definitely an adventure I'm looking forward to!

I know I still have a lot to learn, and with the help of this blog, readings, and class discussions, hopefully I can figure out more about democracy, AIDS, and sustainability as we go along.  Bear with me, and together we'll start the journey.

A few more random facts about me....
- I love reading good books.  Recommend one to me, and we'll get along just fine.
- I'm Catholic, but I'm totally open to religious discussion.  I've been learning this year about the Hindu and Islamic faiths, but I still have questions I'd like answered about all different belief systems.  If both parties are respectful of each other, spiritual discussions can be the best kind of conversations.
- My favorite colors are blue and green.
- My iPod is literally a mix-mash of everything on the planet.  You name it, I've got it.  Country, rock, rap, Irish traditional, French music, hip/hop, pop, classical....yup.
- Whatever I do in my career, it has to be something different every day.  Desk jobs and I don't get along well.  Ideally, I'd love to do some kind of writing job that involves travelling and meeting new people.
- The name of this entry is a traditional greeting in Costa Rica that I just learned last night.  Literally translated, it means "pure life" or "full of life," but people use it to greet each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment