Sunday, April 3, 2011

Post-Trip Reflections

Well, everyone, I'm back from Botswana, and I just have to say, it was AWESOME! I got to see the world, make new friends, and experience new things, some I never thought I'd try in a million years. During my two weeks in Africa, I hiked up a mountain, rode through the streets of Gaborone in the back of a truck at night, hiked up a mountain (and reached the top), tried ostrich, ox tail, and springbok (all of which were delicious), danced with adorable little boys at a Tswana 21st birthday party, met the nicest people I've ever encountered, played with the cutest kids in Botswana, negotiated prices at an open-air market, went on safari and saw impala, ostrich, a warthog, and cheetahs up close, learned the traditional way to grind grain, and of course, through it all, made new friends along the way.

The interviews with organizations and individuals about HIV, alternative energy, and democracy were great. Although we didn't encounter everything in Botswana that we had been reading about here in Detroit, the  readings still provided a good context to compare our experiences against and gave us background knowledge to ask informed questions. I was surprised at how informed and educated everyone's answers were. Here in Detroit, if you asked someone about HIV, alternative energy, or democracy, they'd probably give you a stilted, stuttering, unsure answer. In Botswana, at least about HIV and alternative energy, everyone was very knowledgeable and gave well-spoken answers.

Talking about democracy and government, however, was another matter. Most of the people we spoke to either had only praise for the government for its anti-HIV program and support of alternative energy, or just refused to comment on it at all. Only a couple of professors, like Dr. Sebudubudu, were willing to be critical of the government, along with a few college students from the University of Botswana, who weren't afraid to voice their opinions against the ruling party, the Botswana Democratic Party. I thought it was very brave of them to stand up for what they believed in, particularly when doing so could have consequences. When they mentioned that they believe they're being followed and their cell phones are being tracked, I actually became frightened for them. I wondered if we were doing the right thing, interviewing them  about political freedom and including them in our documentary, even though they consented, when they could possibly face harm as a result of their cooperation with us. I really admire them for their courage, and I think it gives those of us who interviewed them a standard to measure by whenever we ourselves are challenged for our causes and beliefs.

Overall, this trip was incredible in more ways than one, and by the end, I truly did not want to leave. A year ago, I never could have imagined that I would have spent my spring break in Botswana conducting research on how HIV and alternative energy affect democracy. I miss seeing my classmates every day because we grew so close as a group during the trip. Traveling to Botswana has changed the way I look at democracy and opened my eyes in so many ways. I can't express enough how glad I am to have gone on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment